Mowing your lawn is a summer ritual for many people. The task can be enjoyable, but it’s also important to have the right tools for the job.
If you’re shopping for a new lawn mower, you’ll likely come across models with different deck sizes.
There is a lot of debate in the lawn mower community about the ideal deck size. Some people swear by a 21-inch deck, while others think a 22-inch deck offers the best results.
So what’s the difference between a 21-inch and 22-inch mower deck size?
And which one should you choose for your garden? Let’s take a closer look at both options to help you make the best decision for your yard.
Difference Between 21 Inch and 22-inch Mower Deck
According to a different brand, a 21-inch mower deck and a 22-inch mower deck have a few differences. Here are some of the key 21 vs. 22-inch mower deck differences:
21 Inch Mower Deck
This size mower deck is ideal for tight spaces and maneuverability.
- The small size makes it easier to maneuver, especially around tight corners and obstacles.
- It is also lighter weight and generally less expensive than a wider model.
- 21-inch decks are easier to clean since there is less surface area.
- You have to make more passes over the lawn to cover the same amount of ground, which can take more time.
- The smaller cutting width also means that the 21-inch mower will discharge clippings more often.
22 Inch Mower Deck
A 22-inch mower deck is a great choice for those who want more cutting power and versatility. This size deck also provides more bagging capacity, making it ideal for larger lawns.
- A wider cutting width means you can cover more ground in less time.
- The 22-inch deck also provides a better cut quality, especially if your lawn is on the longer side.
- You won’t have to empty the grass catcher often with a 22-inch mower.
- A wider mower deck can be more difficult to maneuver, especially around tight corners and obstacles.
- These models are also generally heavier and more expensive than a narrower models.
How Does Each Size Impact Your Ability To Cut the Grass?
The 21-inch mower will offer you a much smaller cutting area than the 22-inch model. This means cutting your lawn with a 21-inch mower will take longer. This may not be a big deal if you have a smaller yard. But it’s definitely something to consider if you have a larger yard.
The other thing to consider is how each size impacts your ability to maneuver around obstacles. The 21-inch mower will be much easier maneuvering around obstacles than the 22-inch model. So, if you have a lot of obstacles in your yard, the 21-inch mower may be the better option.
Can You Put a 21 Inch Blade on a 22 Inch Mower
Yes, it will work, but the 21-inch blade is designed for a 21-inch mower, so you will lose some cutting power and performance. The 21-inch blade will also stress the 22-inch mower, leading to premature wear or failure. It is not recommended to use a 21-inch blade on a 22-inch mower.
In the end, deck size is a personal preference. If you have a small yard, you may not need the extra cutting width that a 22-inch mower offers. On the other hand, if you have a large yard or lots of obstacles, a 21-inch mower may not be able to handle the job. Ultimately, the best lawn mower for you is the one that fits your specific needs and lawn size.